Engineered wooden doors are an excellent alternative to hardwood doors, as they offer technical superiority while mimicking the look and feel of hardwood. Though the exteriors of hardwood and engineered wood doors look the similar, their cores are completely different. While hardwood doors are constructed by joining several pieces of wood to give rise to a single door, engineered wooden doors are built by pressing multiple layers of timber to form a 3-layer monolithic core. Later, veneer is applied to the outer surfaces and lipping is done to fix the edges. The distinctions in the interior composition of engineered wood doors make them a better choice than hardwood doors in terms of performance.
The Pros and Cons
- Natural hardwood doors may have great aesthetics, they are highly vulnerable to weather changes. The layers of wood running in different directions make them prone to warping, twisting and bowing. Engineered doors, on the other hand, don’t entail such issues and have a stabler core. This results in superior weather and moisture resistance and sturdiness.
- Hardwood doors might offer an unadulterated natural look, but for a given cost, they are usually outperformed by engineered doors. Mikasa engineered wooden doors, for instance, come with an outer veneer made from exotic wood species sourced from around the world. This way, you never compromise on the elegance factor too.
- Engineered wooden doors are eco friendlier and more economical than hardwood doors. Hardwood doors are made from natural hardwood. Engineered doors just take the outer veneer layer from natural hardwood. This results in lesser consumption of natural resources on the whole.
- Natural hardwood doors are less energy efficient when compared to engineered wooden doors. Phenomenon like warping, twisting and bowing in a hardwood negatively affects the thermal performance of a door. If you are living in a colder region, an engineered exterior wooden door will do a better job at heat insulation and keeps the interiors warm.
- The range of options and level of customization in engineered wood is huge. You can buy a wide range of wooden doors including fire rated doors. There are different engineered wooden doors to fit to your need.
We, at Mikasa, are dedicated to offering complete solutions comprising both door and frames, that are factory matched to ensure perfect finish. Our doors come with a 5-year warranty and the necessary ironmongery for hassle-free installation. Talk to us today to learn more about our range of wooden doors. To discuss your requirement, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send us a message and we will take it from there.